Google is the most audacious company in the world. Their new projects are often so ahead-of-the-times that it can be hard to differentiate a google press release from a blurb for a sci-fi novel. Google is currently
- Running a study to understand what a healthy person looks like
- Figuring out how to make cars run on salt water
- Launching internet balloons that will bring wifi to every last inch of the world
- Sending out cars that already drive themselves
- And of course, moving us closer than anyone to the Singularity
Maybe you work for a company with goals as big as Google’s, but you probably don’t, and that’s ok. Most of us are working on goals like “Increase employee retention 12%.” Steady, incremental improvements designed to help us get a little bit better or even just keep the lights on another year.
There is nothing inherently wrong with incremental goals, but maybe we can also learn something from being a little more like Google, being a little more audacious.